Story Stones

I found this idea for story stones here via Pinterest and couldn't resist giving them a go.  They were really easy to make.  Just cover the image with 1 coat of  Modge Podge (I got this from Ebay), I did 2 coats which wasn't the best idea in the world as some of my stones are bubbling.
The idea is that the children use the stones and images on them to create their own stories. I wanted to copy the story stones I had seen on-line as they looked fantastic when made from collage materials, but I wasn't totally convinced that these would attract the attention of the little ones I mind.  I particularly had J in mind when creating these, so needed to find a way of incorporating something that interested her.  Being Fireman Sam's number 1 fan, this seemed my best option!
So I created this set of 'Fireman' themed stones, some made of collage materials and some from images cut from a magazines (my collage skills are very limited:)). 
I made this set from material and string.
These from pictures from magazines.
And these from photographs of the children. I had my daughter beside me as I made these ensuring that I made her the tallest because 'she was the tallest'!  For J I also combined a photo of her with a fireman image.
We've had these out for the last couple of weeks and the children have definitely been interested.  My little man's favourites are the stones that carry photos of the children.  He likes finding them and naming them.
The babies have also been over for a look. (had to remove the very small stones as she is quite partial to eating everything!)
They have found the back of the stones equally as interesting as the front, hmmm I knew my collage skills weren't particularly good:)
And J, well she's had a good look at all of the stones...
...but the Fireman themed stones are definitely her favourite!  She sorts them out from the rest of the stones...
and makes up stories as she plays with them.
She speaks very quietly though, so its really hard to hear what's going on!
I find if I get too close, I interrupt her play and she becomes suspicious as to what I'm up to!
Over at Red Ted's Art Blog the children made their own stones.  I think we might have a go at this next week.
Links to EYFS:

0 comments:

Post a Comment