Zorn palette....a comp of a few past works


















Discussing the Zorn palette on Wetcanvas...just
thought I'd share some old works I did. As a
painter I have my preferred palette and manner,
but as an educator/arts instructor...I feel an
obligation to try and experiment. I don't as a
rule paint with black on my palette...some might
be surprised I haven't used black in my gouache
works yet...though a number of paintings done on
a black support. Yet I mix my darks.

The Anders Zorn palette consists of yellow ocre,
red, black and white. The black of Zorn's day
had a greater content of blue in it than blacks
today have...so I add about 1/3rd by volume Fr.
Ultramarine Blue to black when I play with the
Zorn palette. I have shared this palette with a
number of artists in the past..and my son Jason
took this palette to a whole other height, as he
did with the split-complementary palette...

Here's just a few examples resulting from my play
with it...(and yes...I cheated a little, let's say 
artistic license...when I added a touch of blue to
the woodduck hen's primary feathers).

Clicking on image will bring up a slightly larger
view...

0 comments:

Post a Comment