how art heals + the beauty of friendship

TITLE: Majestically, She Speaks. Prints available in my etsy shop.

I found out earlier this week that one of my best girlfriends is in the hospital. My heart dropped when I heard. I had already started this painting and decided to continue it in her honor as she heals. 

It is all about healing, having and holding grace, and the beauty of being, especially during difficult times in our lives.

 Ironically, I began this piece with the intention that it would hold and honor all of my hopes and dreams. I wrote them out on slips of paper and pasted them onto a canvas in honor of my journey. 

There is a great freedom I feel whenever I write down my feelings and I've found putting them into a painting adds an extra strength and commitment to these words. I hadn't realized when I began this painting, just how powerful these dreams and prayers needed to be.

 Because this piece evolved.

 Those dreams became embedded with paints and pastels.

 And then this girl emerged wearing her bright orange skirt and a butterfly belt, that's meant just for flying.

 And then she changed. 

And for awhile she had these white orbs dancing around her crown. 

And through the evolution, I felt my emotions peeling away, uncovering deeper and deeper. Through the process, I found my peace.  I found my own healing.

And when this pixie girl emerged she seemed just perfect. Her butterfly belt got covered, so you could only catch sight of the butterfly inlay in the right light. The flower stayed, and sometimes I wondered whether she was hiding her hands or offering a prayer. Now I see it is both.

 Painting this piece taught me the nature of how ART HEALS.  It reminded me of the grace in our every day. The blessings of friendship. And the tenderness we must give ourselves and show others. 

My heart goes out to all of you who need a bit of grace in your own lives right now.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment