TITLE: She Sings Like the Flowers. Prints available in my etsy shop.
The other day I was talking with artist Jan Avellana over at Hazelnut Cottage and we got to discussing creativity and the courage it takes to really take chances.
I've always been creating something, trying to find my niche, whether it was with clothes, writing, photography, floral design, whatever. But painting was the thing I always thought I'd never have a chance with.
Last spring (2009), someone said I should sell these feather hair clips I was making on etsy. So I posted them and some beaded earrings. That felt safe to me. Then, as I was browsing etsy at the time, I was really drawn to folk art and paintings of girl characters that expressed emotion, magic, beauty and whimsy. Those pieces seemed to best express what I was feeling inside, so I tried painting my own characters (I hadn't really painted in 10 years).
First, I painted on masonite board because that's what I used in college. Then I found these square canvases and loved that each one could be its own succinct little story that someone could just hang right on their wall.
First, I painted on masonite board because that's what I used in college. Then I found these square canvases and loved that each one could be its own succinct little story that someone could just hang right on their wall.
TITLE: Share Your Gifts. The Original Painting + Prints available in my etsy shop.
Once I saw those folk art paintings on etsy, it made it okay for me to paint my square canvases. No one had to see them, except friends when they stopped by my house. I was terrified to share these new paintings.
But as I started painting, I was having so much fun, I couldn't not talk about my paintings. And when friends + family did finally see them, they gave me such encouragement and said I should have an art exhibit. That bit of support and a whole lot of encouragement from Brian pushed me to talk to the local library where I actually booked my first local art exhibit last November. At my little art opening, a bunch of friends turned out and some people I didn't even know gave me positive feedback and actually bought originals! That was amazing to me!
Once I saw those folk art paintings on etsy, it made it okay for me to paint my square canvases. No one had to see them, except friends when they stopped by my house. I was terrified to share these new paintings.
But as I started painting, I was having so much fun, I couldn't not talk about my paintings. And when friends + family did finally see them, they gave me such encouragement and said I should have an art exhibit. That bit of support and a whole lot of encouragement from Brian pushed me to talk to the local library where I actually booked my first local art exhibit last November. At my little art opening, a bunch of friends turned out and some people I didn't even know gave me positive feedback and actually bought originals! That was amazing to me!
Then I noticed artists on etsy not only sold their paintings, but prints and wearable art too. That made it feel okay for me to do the same. I invested in a printer and found some vintage jewelry to feature my artwork and started listing my original paintings, prints and jewelry-all in my etsy shop.
TITLE: Be, Phenomenally. The Original Painting + Prints available in my etsy shop.
I feel like creativity, whether your form of expression is painting, photography, talking, writing, or cooking, is a constant discovery and unraveling of ourselves and following whatever we're drawn to. It all just takes time and patience to evolve.
Last week, I finally took steps toward meeting one of my bigger goals-getting published-and I sent my first real submission of original art to Somerset Studio, one of my favorite magazines! I had twice submitted to them last year, small illustrations that felt safe to me, but this time I actually sent originals I really care a lot about. And I cannot tell you how nerve-racking that was for me! I mean, getting published in a magazine has been a dream, let alone having my paintings published! I couldn't have done it without all of your constant support and encouragement in helping me have the courage to share my art. I am so very grateful, grateful, grateful for all of it!
I hope you’ll stop by and enter my ABALONE SHELL NECKLACE giveaway over at Audrey’s blog, so that I can give back to you in my own little way.
Last week, I finally took steps toward meeting one of my bigger goals-getting published-and I sent my first real submission of original art to Somerset Studio, one of my favorite magazines! I had twice submitted to them last year, small illustrations that felt safe to me, but this time I actually sent originals I really care a lot about. And I cannot tell you how nerve-racking that was for me! I mean, getting published in a magazine has been a dream, let alone having my paintings published! I couldn't have done it without all of your constant support and encouragement in helping me have the courage to share my art. I am so very grateful, grateful, grateful for all of it!
I hope you’ll stop by and enter my ABALONE SHELL NECKLACE giveaway over at Audrey’s blog, so that I can give back to you in my own little way.
THANK YOU!



0 comments:
Post a Comment