a sweet new print + the evolution of a painting

TITLE: Fresh From the Ocean. Prints available in my etsy shop.

It's always fun to see how a painting evolves. And this one I am especially happy with. I shared the beginning process with you last week, but I see now this piece was much less about the stenciling technique + all about the girl that was slowly emerging. 


Sure, she started with these antlers budding with cherry blossoms. And when I looked at the in-process painting just laying on my studio table after that last post, I thought, "there's no way I can make something of this. What on earth is this girl's story?" And I almost painted right over the entire thing!

The background is almost all new. But I love how you can still see the little bits of the original blue tie dye pattern beneath the sheer white. I spray painted those triangles in at the last moment too, and for some reason they seem to fit, although I have no idea what they are or mean. I also went nuts with my new favorite art supply Ranger's "Distressed Ink" in vintage photo, which gave it that wonderful tea stained hue at the edges to compliment the use of it in her great ball skirt.


If you remember, I felt inclined early on to paste a quote I'd found into her dress, "Fresh From the Ocean." To me, this girl is all about wonder + innocence and that quote seems to best express those feelings. I love the ocean + that incredible feeling of swimming with the waves. It's such a freedom + completely refreshing to me. So while this girl is a little scared + apprehensive about what lies ahead, she is also drawn to the magic and beauty that exists in the unknown.

Sort of like the entire process of painting. It's always intriguing to me to see what stays + in what direction a piece goes. The constant uncovering and discovering is so amazing! Why does something feel complete in the end? It's a mystery. And I know it's a feeling I get more than anything else. A constant following of instincts and, most importantly, taking chances.

ps. it's not to late to enter the giveaway i'm doing over on Audrey's blog. i'm giving away this one of a kind abalone shell necklace, featuring a reproduction of my original painting BUTTERFLY right here

0 comments:

Post a Comment