grace

TITLE: Grace. The Original Painting (5x5inches on wood) and Prints available in my etsy shop.

I really have been painting a ton since I've returned from my San Francisco roadtrip. And I must say, that getting back into things after more than a week of not painting, really made me push myself to really express my feelings. 

I tend to work on four or five paintings at once. While one dries, I start another. And it can be so frustrating working on them all at once and feeling like none are going in a happy direction. But I know, all you need to do is show up in the studio and keep at it. And when I've overworked them all and everything is drying, the best thing to do is walk away. Then I come back with fresh eyes. 

And with this new painting, I walked away so many times. I had started it even before my vacation, so of course by the time I came back to it, I didn't feel like it fit me anymore. I covered up the entire thing so many times. How I wish I had documented its evolution, because while she was always a bird, I had tried really hard to make her into a different sort of owl. 

But there's something about the color pink for me right now. I am loving it, but timid with using it at the same time. Yet pink is so appropriate for me right now. Pink represents grace and softness to me. And everything I am trying to breath into my life right now involves joy, beauty and softness. 

 TITLE: Grace. The Original Painting (5x5inches on wood) and Prints available in my etsy shop.

And so, I was very happy when this girl got her beautiful pink wings. She's strong, but soft. There's something I love too about red and pink together, so I just had to add those lovely red flowers at the center of her chest. It's like Valentine's day, everyday. 

Then I used that same origami paper cut in half circles along the left edge. The rest of the piece incorporates acrylics, ink, pastels and charcoal. On top, I added my favorite finish, an antique decoupage to really give the entire painting its sense of warmth. To me, looking at this piece is like curling up in front of a roaring fire while it's snowing softly outside. Complete comfort and GRACE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment